Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Books bought so far in 2008...

Sometimes I feel that my blog has become a fountain pen blog because of the time and attention I devote to these beautiful creatures in searching, researching, photographing, discussing and writing about them with such devotion and love... sometimes I feel I am moving away from my core areas of reading and music...and I tell myself that this is not true...jai...you do read a lot...

I had wanted to do this exercise at the end of June, but things kept happening, and here I am now with a list of books that I purchased, received as gifts, and acquired so far this year… I have also written the fate of these books after they reached me (in brackets)…I have also written about some of these books in my earlier posts… I think it is a good enough collection so far…I might have missed mentioning a couple of books…I am not sure…henceforth, I will keep a record of books bought…

Novels:
1. Hocus Pocus – Kurt Vonnegut (yet to read)
2. Ragtime – E. L. Doctorow (read earlier; but this was a better looking copy!)
3. Red Dragon – Thomas Harris (read – scary)
4. Hannibal – Thomas Harris (read – same as above!)
5. The Music of the Spheres – Elizabeth Redfern (read – interesting; novel theme)
6. The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz – Mordechai Richler (read library copy as part of MA syllabus; finally found a copy to own)
7. The Bourne Ultimatum – Robert Ludlum (read – good read)
8. The Sea of Poppies – Amitav Ghosh (read – want to read it again and again; that good!!!)
9. Baudolino – Umberto Eco (read – lost my earlier copy; a new one)
10. Pronto – Elmore Leonard (read – good one; nice plot)
11. Killshot – Elmore Leonard (read – my first Elmore Leonard novel; found it a bit sluggish)
12. Rum Punch – Elmore Leonard (yet to read)
13. Mandra (Kannada) – S. L. Bhyrappa (yet to read – read rave reviews about it; bought recently on a trip to Bangalore)

Others:
1. The Music Room – Namita Devidayal (read – super; check out earlier post on this book)
2. Early Novels in India – Meenakshi Mukherjee (ed.) (reading in parts – a reference book for my research)
3. The Last Mughal – William Dalrymple (started reading – given as a puja gift to Shruti’s mom, a teacher (retd.) of history; she re-gifted it back to me after reading)
4. Hobson-Jobson – Yule & Burnell (reference book – bought while reading ‘Sea of Poppies’ as a accompaniment)
5. Vasahatushahi mattu Bhashantara (Kannada–Colonialism and Translation) – V. B. Tharakeshwar (started reading…)
6. Lear Maharaja (Kannada) – Tr. of King Lear by Masti Venkatesha Iyengar (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada – yet to read)
7. Laughter is the Best Medicine – Reader’s Digest jumbo compilation (hilarious – dip into it regularly…too good) (got this through a circuitous route; not intended for me initially, but will now not let it go…)
8. Roald Dahl Treasury (Shruti’s book actually…one of her favourites…)
9. Tipu Sultan – B. Sheik Ali (father’s gift…yet to start)
10. The Holy Quran (got it as a gift at City Centre, Chennai)
11. King Lear (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada)
12. Twelfth Night (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada)
13. Macbeth (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada)
14. The Tempest (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada)
15. The Merchant of Venice (bought this for my research on translation in Kannada)
16. Dave Barry is not making this up – Dave Barry (must have read at least 4-5 times starting from anywhere…hilarious…a gift from Vinod Ekbote… Thanks, Vinod…)

No comments: