Monday, September 22, 2008

Deccan Pens...A New Model...





Just when I thought that we (Hari & I) had covered and reviewed all the major models made by Deccan Pens, Hyderabad, the pen people sprang a surprise… or, shall I say penprise…?

I had placed orders for around 5 Advocate Black FPs (yes…you have to place orders, especially for the complete black model) for my colleagues and brother and I had called the Secunderabad branch to find out if the pens are ready…I had also asked them to get me a couple of Pelkan models…the Advocates were ready and they told me that they have a couple of Pelkans too…I decided to pick them up on my way home in the evening…

I went there and they immediately brought me the Advocate FPs and I asked them to show the Pelkans…what they showed me was not the full ebonite Pelkans that they had earlier but a kind of variant with an aerometric filler and metal cap…I thought I’d pick them up later…and then they showed me a new ebonite model…they didn’t have a name for this model…in fact, they call all their models as ‘Deccan Onyx’ and refer to each model by their shape or size…in my post on Deccan FPs on Fountain Pen Network, I had shown photos of mottled green ebonite FPs with aerometric fillers and called them as ‘the’ Onyx…I guess I was wrong…anyway, the model that they showed me was a medium sized ED filler FP around 5 inches in length with a band at the cap lip…both ends rounded…with a black tip at the bottom…the clip is of thin elongated oval shape and the thin clip band can also be seen (seasoned FP users from around the world might find some similarities with clips of international models!)…the nib is of a brand called ‘Preema’and is tipped fine…with both sides serrated feeder…they showed me four colours…plain green, plain brown, mottled green and mottled brown…I bought all 4! The plain green and plain brown ones have light black spots on them…the plain green one looks really good…I dip tested all nibs and except for one which is slightly scratchy, the rest are all smooth…

I don't know how many more models they are going to make...already burning a hole in my pocket...but what to do...madness, no?

Jayasrinivasa Rao

No comments: