Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Guider Jumbo (XXL!!!) ebonite Fountain Pen





Satish Kolluru had posted a review of the Guider Jumbo ebonite pen on Fountain Pen Network…and I was tempted…and after reading Satish’s review, I decided to get one for myself and spoke to Mr Lakshmana Rao and told him about the review and that I wanted a similar pen...and I received my own Guider Jumbo 5 days later... I liked its looks…it looks really solid…I inked it immediately and it writes wonderfully…I was initially apprehensive when I took it to college as I wearing a white shirt and was worried that with so much of ink inside it and what with our college bus jumping up and down on potholes disguised as roads, there might be some ink-jumps…but the pen held out and both my shirt and the pen emerged triumphant at the end of the day…

The pen capped is 6.3 inches; uncapped 5 1/2 inches; and posted 7 1/4 inches. The clip and the top jewel reminds one of a Parker and the body shape that of a Danitrio Densho pen as some members at FPN have pointed out. The feeder is smooth without any striations like in the Jinhao GN FP that I have. “The feeder on the Guider Jumbo has no fins and has only one central fissure for air,” says Hari, whereas, “the feed on the Jinhao has fins on the upper side flush with the nib.” The nib looks good (as of now) with Guider India Fine engraved on it along with an encircled 'G'...and it is slightly smaller than the Advocate nib (size 10), could be size 9...(Hari reckons that it could be size 8, the same size as Wality 69TL)…

The pen is thicker than the thickest ebonite FPs that I have...I took some close ups of the pen and I can tell you that it is a collector’s item…you might not get one like it in a couple of years’ time…
Jayasrinivasa Rao

3 comments:

Neetant said...

Hi.. can you also share the costs for these pens please....

purnima chandrasekhar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sir, mai know it's price.