Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fountain Pens of AP - Prasad Pens (Part 3)

Once this entire exercise of discovering, ordering, and finally receiving the pens was over, I realised reflectively that the time taken from my first phone call till the delivery of pens was actually to make the pens with the existing material…and this batch of pens was probably one of the last batches of pens made by Prasad Pens…

When you see the photos, you will detect some blemishes, slight pitting, scratches, and so on…but these didn’t deter me from liking them…and again, like all other handmade pens from India, and especially, Andhra Pradesh, keen readers and collectors might detect a number of elements copied from more illustrious international brands, for instance, the Parker arrow inspired clip on the Baby…I dip tested all these pens and most of the pens are good writers and nibs are smooth and feel good to grip and write…

All the 4 models of Prasad ebonite FPs are ED fillers and the nibs have “Prasad – 1st Quality – Alloy – Tipped Fine” engraved on them and an encircled letter ‘A’ at the bottom probably indicating that the nib maker ‘Ambitious’ is the manufacturer of these nibs…if the nibs are actually ‘Ambitious’ nibs, then going by previous experience, these nibs would last quite long…and again, all feeders too have ‘Prasad’ engraved on them…

Prasad Duofold: ED filler…this is the largest of the 4 models the Prasad Duofold can be compared in length and girth to Lamy Safari
Prasad Major: around half an inch shorter than the Prasad Duofold; compares with Waterman Hemisphere GT in length and girth…
Prasad Medium: can be compared with Parker Rialto in terms of length and thickness…
Prasad Baby: ED filler; the thinnest ebonite FP that I have seen so far; the clip is different though, it is the arrow clip similar to the Parker model clips, with Prasad engraved on it…

Friends…more than acquiring the pens, it was the journey towards locating the pens that was more exciting and tense…at one point, I wondered whether I’d get the pens or not…but thankfully, they arrived minus some promises, but all the same, the search has been eventful…

I keep hearing murmurs and rumours about other already extinct and soon to be extinct pen brands in many small towns in Andhra Pradesh…this is a small effort to rescue some of that entrepreneurial legacy of hand made fountain pens in India…I have sent out feelers to my friends and acquaintances across the state, something interesting might turn up…who knows…

Jayasrinivasa Rao

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally!
A blog worth reading on forward until the end! :) I really admire the wording in this blog, quite precise to the details but I just might change one or two things, never-the-less, bravo on well choiced words mate.. p.s.>> Thanks for sharing, I actually picked up some knowledge on this one :)
-Have an amazing day!

Anonymous said...

can u please telll me where can i get this pens

vishnu said...

can u please telll me where can i get this pens

Unknown said...

Dear friend, I love these pens. I tried in many places in particuluar Hyderabad, Ongole etc..My father bought these pens in Ongle pen-corners near Prakasam Bhavan andgave me a pen when I was in seventh class and still have this. Recently when I went to Ongole I found even those old pen-corners have no idea about these. Then I triend in Guntur. The exact location is Opposite to Hindu college in Guntur Market center, you have two to three pen-corners. I bought few recently two months back and when I asked for these even the shop-keeper smiled. Please goto Guntur to get these. All the very best. Hurry