Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Deccan Masterpiece...




Hi friends…
The pen under discussion was a chance find at the Deccan Pen Stores, Secunderabad … it is called the Deccan Masterpiece... and here I think the Deccan people have tried to style this Masterpiece on the lines of ‘The Masterpiece’ that all pen lovers know about… you have the twin gold coloured bands on the cap, the clip is golden in colour with a ball at the end and on top of everything (literally!) is a round white circle, reminding you of something similar of a different shape …
The nib is the king in this pen…honestly…I hadn’t seen such a ‘big’ nib before… when I was shown the Masterpiece for the first time, I refused to buy it saying that the nib looked like a knife point… and even when I reserved one for Hari and when we went to buy that one, I was once again not enthused enough…the nib again! And just as it happens with pen addicts…I decided to buy it only to complete the Deccan brushed ebonite collection… and when I asked for the Masterpiece… I liked the design, of course… I opened the cap and there it was…the ‘bruiser’ nib… and so, I bought the Masterpiece … I got it filled with black ink… and it lays down a slightly more than fine not-so-wet line… and as with Deccan Advocates, the Masterpiece also has no starting problems… and I picked up the Masterpiece after 10 days today and it started writing from the first stroke onwards… This is the best thing that I like about Advocates and now the Masterpiece…

Now, something for the statistically minded…the pen is made of Ebonite; Brushed surface with polished barrel end and cap top; polished also at cap lip and barrel lip; the section looks like it is ebonite; and the nib and feed are fitted perfectly – no movements at all; the pen is slightly shorter...the pen has a screw cap – 7 turns to unscrew; two gold coloured bands on cap; golden coloured clip with a ball at the end, and the clip gives a satisfying click when clipped to and unclipped from my shirt pocket… Nib is Size 40 steel…length capped slightly more than 6 inches; uncapped 5 ¾ inches; posted 7 ½ inches…

Doesn't the pen look grand? like a true masterpiece...no?

Jayasrinivasa Rao

No comments: