Friday, July 2, 2010

The books I bought and read in the last six months...

This is an exercise that I carry out semi-annually ever since I started this blog; making a list of books that I purchased every half year…it helps me keep track of what books I bought and how many of them I read …they are roughly in the order that I bought, I sort of remember the order because this time, I bought more than 5 books at a time more than once……so, here goes…

  • The Girl who played with Fire – Stieg Larsson (read)
  • The Girl who kicked the Hornet’s Nest – Stieg Larsson (read)
  • Invisible Cities – Italo Calvino (unread)
  • Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings – Italo Calvino (unread)
  • In the Castle of My Skin – George Lamming (read)
  • Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha – Roddy Doyle (unread)
  • The Big Sleep – Raymond Chandler (read)
  • Dave Barry Does Japan (read)
  • Dave Barry Turns 50 (read)
  • Dave Barry – Greatest Hits (read)
  • Wide Sargasso Sea – Jean Rhys (unread)
  • Penguin’s New Writing in India (1974) – Adil Jussawala (ed.) (read in parts)
  • The Englishman’s Cameo – Madhulika Liddle (read)
  • The Curious Case of 221B – Partha Basu (read)
  • The Switch – Elmore Leonard (unread)
  • The Big Bounce – Elmore Leonard (unread)
  • Tishomingo Blues – Elmore Leonard (unread)
  • Pagan Babies – Elmore Leonard (unread)
  • City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit – Elmore Leonard (unread)
  • Knots and Crosses – Ian Rankin (read)
  • Strange Pilgrims (short stories) – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (read some stories)
  • The General in his Labyrinth – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (half-way through)
  • The Autumn of the Patriarch – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (unread)
  • The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (unread)
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation – Lynne Truss (read in parts)
  • Yakada Yaka – Carl Muller (read many times over…this is my replacement copy, I lost my first one…hilarious…inimitable…)
  • The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency – Alexander McCall Smith (read)
  • Tears of the Giraffe – Alexander McCall Smith (read)
  • The Kalahari Typing School for Men – Alexander McCall Smith (read)
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls – Alexander McCall Smith (read)
  • In the Company of Cheerful Ladies – Alexander McCall Smith (read)
  • Singing Emptiness: Kumar Gandharva Performs the Songs of Kabir – Linda Hess (read)
  • BPO Sutra: True Stories from inside India's BPOs & Call Centres – Complied and Edited by Sudhindra Mokashi (read…hilarious…)
  • India: A Wounded Civilization – V S Naipaul (started reading!)

A good haul I suppose…there could be a couple of books hiding somewhere…or maybe not…

1 comment:

Sammy Chanda said...

Jay, you know how I value your suggestion on books.....Visited your blog after a long time. Read about 50% on your list.
One thought, recently read HAruki Murakami. I found him awesome! Meaning to purchase all his books. What's you thought on this one?