Thursday, June 7, 2012

SOME OLD INDIAN FOUNTAIN PEN BRANDS - 9 - PLAZA


The next fountain pen in this series is an ED filler called PLAZA…it has a plastic barrel and a gold coloured cap…the name is emblazoned in gold along with an icon of a tree on the barrel…no marks on the cap or on the clip…as you can see, it has a screw cap…on the nib it says ‘Alloy Tipped Fine’…it is not a complete open nib, half of it is buried in the section…and as I had mentioned earlier, in each of these brands I found something interesting and unique…what I found most interesting in PLAZA was that the cap top and barrel end and even the section nib aperture all begin as squares and then flow down into circles…here are some pictures… PLAZA capped…name on the barrel PLAZA uncapped… The nib… Yeah…the squarish cap top, barrel end, and section aperture… Thanks for looking…there are three more single pens in this series…I will wrap this up soon…

6 comments:

C.G. BHARGAV said...

You are from which town? I have been living in Chennai for past 50 years and I remember Writer(I think in later years it was known as Mhatre Writer or something like that) Gama (made by Gem and Co of Chennai). Do you have these?

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Bhargav...I live in Hyderabad... thanks for visiting and responding... I haven't come across Writer yet, but I have some very good gold nib Gamas...and some simple ones too... my brother was in Chennai for three years and I was able to access Gama through him...incidentally, a friend of mine, who is an expert on Indian fountain pens informed me that Mhatre in Mumbai actually manufactured most of the old Indian brands... the manufacture was outsourced to Mhatre... BTW, are you also an FP user/collector?

Jai

C.G. BHARGAV said...

I am not a collector. But I just love pens and ball-pens. During my school/college days and a few years later till ball-pens became the habit, very few good pens were available. We used to go to Burma Bazaar for the famous Hero pens with the characteristic reddish colour (Do you have?). Few other things I shall mention in a day or two in my blog www.businesswithac.blogspot.com.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Yeah...I have that reddish Hero...weren't we all fascinated by the Hero? I'll look forward to your post on your blog...have you seen the other pen posts on my blog?

Jai

Unknown said...

Hi!
I am from Mumbai. I have collected a few old fountain pens, mainly pens manufactured by Mhatre Pens. Theie brands were Plato, Writer, Homer and Commerce. They also manufactured under license Waterman,Doric, Swan and Clipper.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Rahul...thanks for visiting my blog...I know Mhatre used to manufacture a lot of brands...I have a couple of Platos...but Homer and Commerce are new to me...I also have their Watermans,Swans and Clipper...No Doric yet...BTW, would you by any chance be rahulg of FPN? If you are a regular at FPN then you would know me as 'shrujaya'...I,along with my friend, Hari (hari317), also a Mumbaikar, also hang out at FPN...