Monday, May 20, 2013

My Sunday book haul at Abids in a long long time...with Vinod for company...


I went to the second hand books market at Abids yesterday...I don’t remember when I last visited this amazing Sunday book sale...must be almost 16-17 years ago...I don’t even have memories of that visit... and ever since I began reading Vinod’s blog, I have enjoyed his retelling of his various hauls, his lucky finds, his regrets about leaving some book behind, his obsessed pursuit of rare books of even more rare and hidden authors...though I do manage to buy second hand books at a couple of permanent second hand book stores in Hyderabad, I had wanted to revisit Abids and be part of this madness...and the prices are unbelievable...

I had to visit a colleague of mine briefly on Sunday morning... the area was close to Abids, and I thought why not go to Abids and try my luck...I might also meet Vinod there...and so I went, heart full of hope to Abids...and just as I turned the corner into the street where books were being sold in heaps on both sides of the road, I thought I saw Vinod, though I hadn’t seen him for the last two years...I went up to him and said ‘hi’ and indeed it was Vinod... I was pleased that my first objective in visiting Abids was fulfilled early on... I was happy to see Vinod and we chatted as we moved on...Vinod found a Parker soon enough...Stardust...wow...hmmm...keen practised eye of the accomplished book hunter...I didn’t have Stardust...why didn’t I see the book first...tcha...ha ha ha...

I looked around...I was looking for Parkers, as usual...hadn’t read a Parker in a while...also looking for Peter Robinsons...and through my recent searches on the Internet through various links beginning with Parker’s on Wikipedia, I discovered for myself names of some very interesting crime fiction writers...Simon Brett, Robert Crais, John Lescroart, Harlan Coben, Gregg Hurwitz...I hadn’t read any of them...and there was also Jo Nesbo... I was looking for books by all these writers...

At some places there were heaps of books...Rs.10 each...Rs.20 each...at some places...Rs.30 each...wow!!...one needs a lot of patience and perseverance to hunt for books in these book heaps...one might find that one book that one has been looking for...I was thoroughly tempted...two more bibliophile friends of Vinod were co-hunting books with him...after we walked the length of the road, we reached an Irani hotel and Vinod invited us for tea...we spent half an hour talking books...our mutual recent reads...recent finds...writers discovered...Vinod had written many posts recently about his discovery of the Indian English writer Arun Joshi...Vinod told me that Joshi is a wonderful writer and that his novels resonate even today...and he has doggedly pursued his novels and managed to find four...one more is remaining...he also told me about his recent rare find...All About H. Hatterr... an outstanding novel that compares with the best of novels written in the world...for some strange reason this novel is not that easily available in bookstores...So, Vinod was pretty chuffed about his recent bookquisitions...

Once we finished our tea, we came out and resumed our search.... we soon came upon another pile of books...Rs.20 each...Vinod pointed out a Le Carré novel...The Naive and Sentimental Lover ...I had read a Le Carré novel earlier...The Spy who Came in from the Cold ...but the novel I picked up was not a spy novel, though I was looking for crime fiction...and in the same heap, I detected E. L. Doctorow’s Welcome to Hard Times...good one...2 books...




 Vinod then said he had to leave and left me to my own devices...I still hadn’t found any Parkers or any of the other books by writers I was looking for...but I still poked in the book heaps...and kept walking...I saw a Parker, but I had that title already...the name Lescroart I detected in a corner...a ha...one name from my list of writers...it was John Lescroart’s The First Law...good only...patience pays...I poked further...upturned books in the hope of locating some gem below...zilch...I moved on...3 books...good enough?   No?  No...


It was getting late...I wanted at least five to round off my first haul at Abids...desperately searching...I found a rather big looking Peter Robinson book...Playing with Fire...do I have this title?  No, I think not...the book has a photo of the actor who plays the role of DCI Banks in the TV series...a grim looking chap...four books...


and then I saw a Deighton book...I had recently read the Game, Set, Match trilogy and was quite impressed and liked the oddball characters Bernard Samson and Werner Volkmann...this book was Spy Sinker...the last in the second Samson trilogy...hook, line, and sinker...

hmmm...so, where do I now find hook and line?  an element of suspense and excitement enters the book hunt now...I won’t be able to read Sinker without reading Hook and Line first... I have to look for them now... some purpose also creeps in to the hunt...five books...mission accomplished? but I hadn’t found many books by writers I was looking forward to reading... I gave myself 10 minutes before quitting the search for the day...I moved along and found books stacked on makeshift shelves...not heaps...these must be expensive...I was delighted to locate 3 novels by Harlan Coben...I wanted to buy them and asked the price...each book was priced at almost the total price of all the 5 books that I had already purchased...not that I was not in a position to buy them, I simply didn’t want to buy at that price...the chap reduced the price, but it still didn’t come near the price I offered to pay...so, this went on for some time...I stood my ground...they did not yield beyond their last quote...impasse...no sale...no purchase...some other time perhaps...

This was a memorable visit to Abids Sunday book market after a long long time...I met Vinod after a long long time and I got 5 books...I already started reading Lescroart’s The First Law...

1 comment:

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai, there's no doubt about it. You've caught the Abids bug. You will keep coming no matter what.