Friday, September 27, 2013

The Deccan Red Sanders – a new model in the making

When Zubair (@ Deccan Pen Stores, Secunderabad) showed me this pen four days back, I thought this was the manufacturer’s sample piece of an old model.  I was struck by the sheer beauty of this pen and told him that if ever he decides to sell this pen, I would want it.  It was then that he told me that this is a model that ‘Bade saab’ has been trying to perfect and it has reached this stage now.  Bade saab hasn’t perfected it yet and this is only a kind of ‘preview.’  Bade saab is probably working on making a pen in wood for the first time and there are many things that he has to look out for, Zubair said.  And this is no ordinary wood.  It is Red Sanders also known as Red Sandalwood (Pterocarpus Santalinus); known as Raktachandan in many parts of India.  It is an endangered plant species and the production, distribution, and sales of Red Sanders is regulated by the government.  

I was genuinely pleased to see this pen.  Hari had recently uploaded a post on FPN on Platinum Izumo Glossy - Tagaysan, a pen made of rosewood and I wondered if any of our Indian penmakers would attempt something in wood.  And I go to Deccan and Zubair shows me this pen made of Red Sanders!!


As I said, the pen is not yet complete.  I am not sure when it would be perfected and be ready for the market.  I took Zubair’s permission to take photos of this pen at this stage… I stopped myself from saying too much… needless to say I was overwhelmed by this beauty…I took these photos in the Deccan Pen Stores, Secunderabad branch, and tried my best to see that the photos are sharp and bring out the beauty of the pen…

The Deccan Red Sanders – Capped – the size is similar to the Deccan Masterpiece…

The Deccan Red Sanders – Uncapped


The Deccan Red Sanders – Posted 

The Clip…this is something very interesting…Bade saab has actually sprinkled the Red Sanders wood dust on the clip… obviously, some kind of adhesive on the clip surface before the sprinkling took place…Bade saab wanted the wood feel to extend to the metal clip too…


Another interesting feature here…the aperture which holds the nib and feeder is made of ebonite and fixed to the section which is made of Red Sanders…this is to prevent ink from coming into contact with the wood while filling as wood tends to swell/shrink depending on exposure to moisture/heat and either way, it would affect the nib fitting…

The nib – this is a two-toned Ambitious nib…

The feeder…


Yeah, the pen is an aerometric filler…I think it has to be that for a complete wood pen…


The joint where the aerometric filler is fixed to the section…

One can see the thickness of the barrel wall and cap wall…

Close-up of the cap…it would be a snap-cap pen…

Close-up of the barrel…

I wish and hope that Bade saab gets this pen going as soon as he can...looking at this prototype, one realises how arduous and meticulous the job is...all those small but crucial details...

No comments: