Friday, November 15, 2013

On the Big Red trail ... Beginning ...

When I re-started my encounter with fountain pens, this time more seriously, both as a collector and user, the Montblanc 149 was my grail pen …

I checked out the pen at the Montblanc showroom in Hyderabad and the price was forbidding…my god, I thought…then I felt that I should put aside some money every month and then make this purchase…funny idea, actually…the next time I visited Bangalore, around six months later, I went to William Penn and saw that the price had increased by Rs.5000… wow! 

And this went on… now when I look back I realise that every six months or so, the price would increase by Rs.5000 … and more I tried to reach it, it would move higher…wonderfully funny actually… and my obsession to own the MB149 grew obsessively obsessive … I was obsessed … it was obsessing … then I finally asked Hari, who already had a couple of MBs … bhai, any solution that might obviate this obsession … (wow!) … ever pragmatic, Hari suggested going for a pre-owned MB … (second-hand, re …) … I had to bring this to a close, and so I agreed … (story is becoming too long now… going telegrammatic …) Hari contacted a seller in the UStold me the priceI didn’t have moneyI took up a collection among relatives (mainly wife, her father, her brother, and sister … nice people … really…)… raised moneypen came by mail …  transferred money to Hari …  I too happy

Was I? 

What? 

What? 

Were you what? 

What do you mean? 

You said, ‘Was I?’  I’m asking ‘what?’ 

Oh, that … I was merely ruminating …

What about? 

Was I really happy

Weren’t you? 

I think I was … I am, aksherlly… proud owner of an MB 149 and all that … but somewhere, I feel, amidst this obsession to own the 149, I actually went after something that I mightn’t have wanted to …

(haen …?) …

Whats with you, maan?  Mad or what?  You chewed up everybody’s brains talking about this 149 all the time … you shamelessly asked around for money to buy this pen … poor Hari ran around arranging this pen for you … and now you say you actually didn’t want this pen at all…? Dhamag karab aayindara, haule …  

Arre, aisa nahi hai re, bhai … kaiku naraz hora … I wanted this pen badly … no doubt about that … and I bought it … but there is this other pen that I realized later I wanted too … it was always at the back of the my mind … under the surface … subconscious … only that I didn’t know it …

Arre, tu phir se sabku haula banara? Ye kya re bhai tu ‘peeche’ ‘neeche’ bolra …

Na, na … vaisa nahin … tereku kaisa boloon … achcha theekh hai, listen, mein tereku pen ka photo dikhaata hoon … it is a big orangeish-red coloured pen with a ball clip … flat top … flat end …



Kaisa hai?  Zabardast hai na, yaaro?  See how beautiful the pen is … my heart is set on getting one …

Then, whose pen is this? 

This is Hari bhai’s pen … photo bhi usi ka liya hua hai … he bought it two years ago and wrote a review about the pen on fountain pen network … dekho, jaake dekho, aur bhi photos hai is link pe …

Pen ka naam kya hai yaaro …


Arre, yeh Parker Duofold hai … pyaar se pen haule isku Big Red bolte … yeh ispeshal pen hai maloom … kitta bhi khojo dukaanon mein nahin milti … baahir se mangaana padta … bohot meinga hai … 

2 comments:

Riddhi said...

Hello!

I was looking for information on a fountain pen my father mentioned in a story to me, but I'm having some trouble. He says the brand name was Pratap and then pens were a dark brown color. He was located in Petlad, GJ at the time (in the 1960s). Would you happen to know this brand or if they are still selling these pens? I live in the US and I'm not very familiar with these things.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Riddhi

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Dear Riddhi,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I haven't yet encountered this pen you mention. I will check with my 'pen' friend who lives in Mumbai and see if he has any information. If you have any pictures of this pen it would help.

Regards,

Jai