Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My Brother’s HMT Chethan…his 10th Class Gift…

As is the tradition in our family, my younger brother too got an HMT watch as a kind of ‘arrival’ gift when he was in the tenth standard (matriculation).  We were living in Shimoga at that time and father was posted in Bangalore.  My father’s elder brother was working as a scientist in a defence-related lab and got the watch for my brother through their supply store.  The watch was purchased in September 1986 and cost Rs.258. 

Actually I was not aware of this particular watch that my brother had.  Maybe I had forgotten all about it.  When I was writing the post on my HMT Vijay, I was able to locate the receipt and the guarantee book and inside the guarantee book, I found this pink coloured receipt for an HMT Chethan…I wondered who owned the watch…then my brother called me up and said he had seen my post on HMT Vijay and had dug out his own 10th class gift watch and that it was ticking away merrily and that he was now wearing it regularly…HMT Chethan, he said…ah ha, so, the watch whose receipt I had belonged to him…

I told him I had the receipt for his watch and he was surprised…I then asked him to send me photos of his watch…he then sent photos and I sent him a scanned copy of the receipt…here are the photos…in another two years this watch would also be thirty years old…







Haan…BTW, my younger brother, Jayanagaraja Rao, a banker, used to look like Pete Sampras when he was younger and lighter and now that he is older and heavier, he tends to look like Mohanlal…from one particular angle…

Jiyo mere bhai…so, when are you giving me the Pilot??

No comments: