Friday, July 24, 2015

Looking for Ross Macdonald and finding John D. MacDonald … both 'hard-boiled' crime fiction writers – Part I

After tea and biscuits (on the same Sunday as in the previous post), as Vinod and I came out of the Irani, Vinod asked me if I had read anything by Ross Macdonald.  This was a new name to me and I said no, I hadn’t.  Vinod then told me that Ross Macdonald was writing around the same time as Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett and they were considered the ‘holy trinity’ of crime fiction in America.  He told me that Ross Macdonald too had a ‘detective’ of his own called Lew Archer, who was a ‘tough, but humane’ detective.  Vinod says in one of his posts that had had no idea about this writer till he read The Wycherly Woman, which he found in Abids in March this year and then in June he found three more by Ross Macdonald.  And since then he has been hooked.  And he asked me not to miss any book by Ross Macdonald, especially if one has enjoyed reading Chandler and Hammett.  Ross Macdonald also has a similar style in terms of writing sharp dialogues.  So, one more name was added to my list of ‘must-read’ writers.

And though I looked carefully, I didn’t find any Ross Macdonald novels that day at Abids.  Back home, as is the norm, I googled and then Wikipedia-ed 'Ross Macdonald' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Macdonald) and got to know quite a bit about him and his novels.  According to the entry in Wikipedia, “Macdonald has been called the primary heir to Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler as the master of American hardboiled mysteries.”  This is how Ross Macdonald looked ...


Fedora and all ... 'private-eye' written all over ... 

mmm … sounds exciting, I thought … I checked online stores and found the prices too heavy for my wallet … I then wondered if that Indian online second-hand bookstore that I have been visiting on and off (with no great success till now), would have any Ross Macdonald books … well, I went there and looked for books by Ross Macdonald and found not a single book … total deflation … I tried ‘Macdonald’ only and that search came up with a number of books by one John D. MacDonald … but the only familiar title among these was ‘Cape Fear’ … I remembered it by the name of the film … same book made into a film?  If so, he must be a well-known and good writer … back to Wikipedia again to check out this ‘MacDonald’ … 

No comments: