Tuesday, October 27, 2015

My improvised drum kit ... Part 3 ... the frenzy cools ... for now ... !!

This excitement lasted exactly for two days … now, I only got to hear the dhub dhub sound of the cardboard box (my substitute for the bass drum) and the dull thuds of drum sticks on a rubber pad (my substitute for the snare drum) … it was not very satisfying … what could I do to enhance the sounds of my version of the snare drum and the bass drum, so that I could hear actual sounds of drums or something thereabouts … and the solution has to be inexpensive …

I was also not too pleased with how the cowbell was fixed … it sat just on the edge of the bent rod I was worried that it might just slip off and fall …

So, anyway, another light flashed in my head … it might be tricky … but in case what I had in mind didn’t work out, the things I was going to purchase would have other uses … and since I knew these were not going to be expensive, I felt I should go ahead and then see what happens …


I was supposed to pick up Mamoon from school and I asked Raju to come half an hour early, so that I could take a detour … go to Music Cabin, Secunderabad, first and then go on to her school … I had done my homework and more or less knew what I wanted and also knew that it would work … I was actually keyed up … for some reason, there was some delay in the shop and I was getting a bit annoyed … then I asked them if they had what I wanted … and yes, they did … and I bought these two simple khanjira-s or tambourines …
  

All right … the red one is 8 inches in diameter and I wanted to use that in place of a snare drum … I had taken the measurement of the surface of the practice drum pad and I wanted this khanjira to sit on the practice drum pad like this …

And the yellow one … the bigger one, is 12 inches in diamater … I wanted to use this as a substitute for the bass drum … I could arrange the bass pedal in front of it and thump this khanjira instead of the cardboard box … but this would still be propped against the cardboard box … I soon discovered that the yellow khanjira required some sort of stand, as it couldn’t stand propped against the cardboard box for long … some sort of a box, which would hold it or at least a part of it … I rummaged around in the loft among lots of empty cardboard boxes and found one which fit the bill … and I put this contraption together and pushed it against the bigger box and pushed the pedal in front …


and lo and behold … I had my bass drum … and this is how it looks … ha ha ha … very good, ya … you are a genius, ya … arre burbak, rulaoge kya …

This was a big relief … I could hear real drum beats now … and this set up could articulate the beat patterns in a much better manner than before …

There was this problem with the cowbell still unresolved … I wanted a sort of rod or pipe similar in thickness or diameter to the metal pipe on which now rested the cymbal … I checked in the hardware store at the top of our lane … I had carried the metal pipe (around 1 ½ feet in length) in my bag and showed it to him and asked for something similar … he is used to my strange queries for odds and ends … he smiled and said he didn’t have such a thing with him, but asked me to check in ‘plywood’ stores … the area around Nacharam and HMT Nagar has a number of such hardware and plywood shops … I wore out my sandals a bit climbing up and down these shops … at least 10 shops … one of these plywood shops had a sort of rod which was very long … around 4 feet in length … and was smaller in diameter than the pipe I had with me … I was not very convinced … I checked other shops … zilch … that long rod was the only option now …


I waited for a couple of days more and then unable to bear the tension, I went out in the evening and bought that rod … and on inspecting closely I discovered that the rod had these threads all through its length and at mid-point there was a nut wound around the rod … I then realized that this rod was made for some kind of fastening jobs … I didn’t venture to ask, maybe I should have … and maybe I will when I pass that way again … anyway, this was a sort of blessing … I asked the chap to give me two nuts as well … he threw in two nut gratis … two nuts for one nut!! 
I hurried home … first thing I did was to remove the cowbell from the bent rod, and then removed the bent rod from the tripod … I put the pipe back into its parent tripod, and inserted the threaded rod into the other tripod … fortunately, the base tube was hollow till the bottom and the threaded rod could go through almost till the end … around a foot and a half stuck out and I threaded a nut, then placed the cymbal, and then threaded another nut on top of the cymbal … great … just like I wanted...




… the cowbell went back to its previous tripod … and all was well with the world …

and my drum kit now looks like this … cool, na ... the floor tom is missing though … but, I will figure out something …



No comments: