Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Shimoga Diary … Mamoon visits a well!!

Mamoon came back from school one day and said she wanted to see a well … hein … where did this come from … her request stumped me … I searched around in my mind map ... to see if I could locate a well somewhere near where we live … couldn’t remember … we thought we’d ask Lakshmiamma … she is Mamoon’s caretaker and a sort of living directory of names and places … she said something and then we began to plan our Shimoga trip and I told Mamoon that there are lots of wells near our house in Shimoga and we’d see one there … the house that we lived in in Mangalore (Chilimbi) had a huge deep well behind it … and we used to draw water from it during ‘low pressure’ crises … and I vaguely remember a well that was there in the ‘compound’ in Pandeshwar (Late Sri Venkappanna’s Compound) where I lived my very very early life … there were a number of houses with wells in Shimoga too … Manja’s house had one, I think … I never thought a day would come when I’d have to scramble around looking for a well … well!

So, in Shimoga, after the initial couple of days of general lazing around, I remembered the promise I made Mamoon … I asked my mother if there are any wells around … she said her friend’s house had one … I went there, the well was there, but it was not a ‘well’ well … know what I mean … it looked like a sort of underground water tank with a motor, pipes, andall … it didn’t have the ‘well’y paraphernalia … the ‘moss covered’ round wall, the pulley, iron beam, ropes, metal pot … the sort of things that make a well ‘well’ … I was not enthused … I wanted to show Mamoon a well that looks like a well …

A day after this, Mamoon and I went on a recce mission after dinner … we walked along the lanes around our house looking for houses with wells … the wonderful part was we saw so many different types of houses … what we call now as “individual houses” … some houses came and hugged the road, almost … some stood back, allowing space for some plants and trees, space for people to sit around, children to run around … we started looking around for those ‘laid back’ houses and soon enough we espied a well in one … and then in another … and two more … among them, three were ‘modern’ sort of wells … only one fit ‘my’ bill of a well … and Mamoon was thrilled … but we didn’t want to disturb anyone at  night, so we decided to come back in the morning and see the well properly in daylight …

When Mamoon and I went there in the morning, a lady was washing utensils near the well … I said that my daughter wanted to see a well and could we open the gate and come in … she welcomed us effusively … she was smiling and had an amused look on her face all through … she wanted to speak with Mamoon, but Mamoon turned all shy andall … but Mamoon gladly posed for a photo with the well …


 See … it is a really sweet little well, isn’t it?  All nice and crumbly looking … suitably patchy round wall, side pillars, the beam, the rope, the pulley … and you can see the water in the well … the reflection in the water ... it is almost up to the brim … you don’t need a pulley and rope … see that white plastic bucket there … haan … just dip the bucket in the well and pull it out … cool na … 

No comments: