Sunday, July 3, 2016

250 Posts on this blog ...



This ‘gloat’ post is actually the 252nd … the third part of the ‘bibliothrillers’ series was the 250th, but I didn’t want to break the series with a ‘gloat’ post to announce my 250th to the world … so here it is … I have now written 250 posts on my blog!!

It is a very meagre achievement actually, considering this blog is almost 8 and a half years old … even if I had done one post per week from the beginning, I should have written around 400 posts by now … the first year was really good actually … I was sort of ‘prolific’ and wrote 74 posts … then I thought I’d continue to write with the same pace … I was thrilled that I could write all these posts on a variety of subjects … not a great range really … mostly about fountain pens, books, a few on music, and some on travel … from 74, the number slid down drastically to 24 in the next year, and it was a progressive decline for the subsequent two years – 12 and 10 posts … recovered slightly in the next three years, but maintaining a bleak average of around 22-23 posts a year …

Many a times I felt like surrendering altogether and posting ‘The End,’ but somehow I also felt this blog was one thing that liked doing, however sporadically and that I should continue … so, last year I pulled up my socks, tied my shoelaces tightly, tightened my belt (huh!), and set off on a determined journey to write at least 50 posts by the end of the year … I almost reached there … with 47 posts … another 9 posts and I would have reached 250 last year itself … I was aware of this, but I didn’t want to hurry by posting just about anything … this year didn’t begin with optimism and for two months, I didn’t write anything … and I really wanted to close down this blog … in March I made a tentative restart by putting up a really ‘down and out’ post … and tried to remember the good times I had during my year end trip to Shimoga and wrote three more posts about that visit … April was lost to ‘busyness’ of exams in college and or was it also because it is the cruellest month?

I went to Abids after 6 months and a book that I bought there spurred me on to write a series on ‘bibliothrillers’ … and here I am now …

I realise that most of my posts are sort of ‘essay’ length, and sometimes the narrative flags and sometimes people don’t have the time to read through the entire thing … all fountain pen enthusiasts are not book lovers and all book lovers are not fountain pen enthusiasts … and either of them may not like reading about HMT watches … but what to do, I am like this only … I don’t know who reads my posts or how many read my posts … there are some regular readers, I know … I was also rather touched when a couple of my readers pointed out that I hadn’t been posting for quite some time (during those bleak times) … and then maybe sometime in 2014, rather late, I discovered that my post could be linked to my facebook page … that got my posts a few more readers, going by the likes and some comments … and two book review posts on ‘chai and tea’ actually got published in an online journal thanks to KBS Krishna’s persuasions … that gave me some confidence that my posts are ‘readable’ … and more recently, rather shamelessly, I concede, I also started putting my post links on my linkedin profile page …

So, thank you all my readers for your likes, comments, and ‘view’s … and invisible support … 300 by the year end?  No way … it’s a long way to Tipperary … namma thipparaLLi balu doora

No comments: