Tuesday, November 8, 2016

One more for the MARTIN BECK set … Murder at the Savoy …



Though I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo’s Murder at the Savoy on sale at one of the used books portals on Amazon, I wanted to be absolutely sure.  There was no photo of the book cover and that made me cautious.  I wanted to see the photo of the cover to see if the book belonged to the MARTIN BECK set I was putting together (see here http://jaisiri.blogspot.in/search/label/Martin%20Beck%20series for posts on ongoing efforts at putting the unique set together).  If not, I could very well abandon it.  I sent a message to the seller and asked him if they could mail me the photo of the cover.  I got the picture on my phone and was elated to see that it did belong to the set and fit the vacant ‘N’ slot in MARTIN BECK.  Ooh … that was some relief. 



The novels in this particular series are hard to come by and I have to rely on used books stores to fill the gaps.  Though I had read a couple of ‘Martin Beck’ novels, I was not aware of this ‘MARTIN BECK’ set until one fine March afternoon last year in Secunderabad when I saw four novels and picked them up.  Once I realized what I had got, the obsession to get the other novels to complete the set caught hold of me.  And when I realized how daunting the task would be, I sort of calmed down.

And in August this year, there was some rekindling of hope when, out of the blue, I found two more in the ‘MARTIN BECK’ set on one of the used books portals on Amazon.  I had six now and I have been checking those portals regularly since then and found Murder at the Savoy

I have seven now … ‘_ART_NBE_K’ … and this is how my ‘MARTIN BECK’ set looks now …



I need three more M, I, and C to make my set complete … though it promises to be a long haul, it sure is an interesting thing to be preoccupied with …  and if my luck holds good, I might get one more soon enough … fingers crossed … 


No comments: