Thursday, March 16, 2017

Two George Lamming novels and a wonderful surprise … second time lucky with used books … Part 2 – The Surprise -- one from Lamming's hand …

Even while I was in the second semester of the PGDES course at CIEFL, I had more or less decided to work on George Lamming’s novels for my MPhil in case I got a seat in the programme.  This was mainly because I, very surprisingly, found all of Lamming’s six novels in the CIEFL library.  Some sensible and informed soul must have recommended that the library should buy the novels of this important voice in postcolonial literature.  I had already read In the Castle of My Skin, and before I left Hyderabad after completing the PGDES course, I went around asking friendly seniors like Pradeep Sharma to borrow these five novels on their library cards.  I wanted to take these novels with me, finish reading them, and when I’d return to Hyderabad for the MPhil entrance exam, I could return them.  And since I was a very popular ‘participant’ (ho ho ho ho ho … [oh, come on maan, allow the guy to indulge in some deceptive dreams…]), I was a known commodity and a couple of seniors humoured me and borrowed these books on their cards for me to read.  

I read all five of them during the break … in swelteringly hot and sweaty Sultanpur … and also in Chandigarh, where I went to attend my classmate Priya Bhatnagar’s wedding.  So, I read the other five novels of Lamming – The Emigrants, Of Age and Innocence, Season of Adventure, Water with Berries, and Natives of My Person – during this break.  By the time the MPhil interviews came around, I decided to work exclusively on In the Castle of My Skin, and this was also endorsed by my research supervisor.  It was also suggested that I could extend my research and work on all the novels for my PhD, if things get that far.  Though things went far, as far as PhD was concerned, my research into Lamming’s novels stopped with my MPhil dissertation.  But as I said in the previous post, Lamming continued to occupy space in my mind … In the Castle of My Skin would never leave me. 

Those other five novels slowly receded from memory.  I don’t remember anything that I read of these novels in those summer months in 1992.  But I would keep an eye open for these novels whenever I went to bookshops, at Abids, at Best Books sales, etc.  I also tried to see if they are available in online bookshops.  After all this, I got lucky in late January this year.  I found two Lamming novels on dealstar, a used books portal on amazon – The Emigrants and Season of Adventure.  The prices were on the higher side, considering that these were being sold as used books.  But they was not prohibitive and they were Lamming novels and I pressed the button.  There were two other books that I ordered along with these two Lamming novels, but that is for another post.  For some reason, it took ten days for the package to arrive.  I opened the package and saw that The Emigrants was a paperback edition and Season of Adventure was a hardback.



I opened The Emigrants and flipped through.  Going by the cover, I think the CIEFL library has the same edition.  Season of Adventure is a hardback and hardbacks come with an outer cover and all that.  I opened the book and I saw some writings on the blank page inside.  I read that and then I realized … Oh my god!  Oh my god! This was unbelievable …. look what I found …




An author signed copy of George Lamming’s novel!!!  No less!!  

I held the book in my hands and just kept looking at it … then I ran with the book to Shruti and showed this to her … isn’t that great, she said … a real surprise gift for a Lamming fan …  

Though I have got copies of books signed by some of my favourite authors, they were all intended and happened live.  I could never have hoped to get a book signed by Lamming.  It would have to be either me going to England or Lamming coming to India.  And this was the second time I got lucky with finding author-signed copies while buying secondhand books.  Remember, I got an author-signed copy of an Ian Rankin novel?  (Don’t remember? Then read it here)

I settled down after some time, but the excitement didn’t wear off.  The more I read the ‘dedication,’ the more I started wondering … ‘Who is this Mike Henshaw?’

No comments: