Saturday, March 10, 2018

After all the serendipities … a little bit more … meet a budding antiquarian book collector …

While that serendipitous Sunday ended with ‘absolute clarity,’ I was also aware that with absolute clarity comes absolute responsibility … yeah … and so, feeling all responsible, I went to my shopping cart … I had the three Hari Majestic novels, I had The Book Hunters of Katpadi … I also had Umberto Eco’s Chronicles of a Liquid Society … it was simple actually … I would go for all these books as these were the ones that grabbed my attention through those reviews and articles …

But as it turned out finally, things changed mid-way and I ended up not buying the Hari Majestic novels this time  … though expensive, I felt strongly about Umberto Eco’s Chronicles of a Liquid Society … this being his last book and so I decided to buy it … and I realized I was on an Eco trip when I started browsing other essay collections by Eco … I was interested in Faith in Fakes: Travels in Hyper-reality and Inventing the Enemy: Essays on Everything,  but settled for Faith in Fakes … this was an unanticipated buy and out went responsible buying …



While browsing books by Eco, for no reason at all, amazon kept ‘recommending’ other sort of ‘similar’ books … Patrick Suskind’s The Pigeon kept flying across my face much too often … his earlier novel Perfume was intriguing and outstanding … I had read the novel, and was fascinated … and also saw the movie based on it … so, the author was ‘tried and tested’ … I said yes to The Pigeon … feeling less and less responsible now …


The Book Hunters of Katpadi?  This book I wanted to buy and read … desperately, actually … as I wrote in my previous post, “… somewhere I knew that if at all anybody wrote a bibliomystery in India in English, it would be Pradeep Sebastian” … it was as if I was waiting for this book even before it was written … 


After the books arrived, I read a couple of essays in Chronicles of a Liquid Society and before long I was away for five days … visited Mangalore and Shimoga last week, actually … after I returned I picked up The Book Hunters of Katpadi … I am reading it very very slowly … mystery apart, it is a treat for those who are passionate about collecting books and making books (book making?) … all about antiquarian books, sellers, rivalries between collectors, papers, letter press, founts, binding … I have crossed a hundred pages and I can say that beneath the mystery flows a narrative of book collecting and books making in India …

But what warmed my heart was this passage right at the beginning … this is narrated by Kayal, the young associate of Neela, the owner of Biblio in Chennai, India’s first full-fledged antiquarian bookshop … Kayal is putting together a catalogue of modern Indian first editions and working out the tricky business of identifying them and then this comes as an example …


As I came to the bottom of the page, I rushed to my bookshelf and pulled out … very very gently … my Rupa paperback copy of English, August … I had read this novel many many times, lent it to friends and now I was wondering if the copy I had was the 1988 edition … I opened the copyrights page and saw the year … and it is …. yesss …. it is 1988!!!

I am already getting this heady feeling that I am a bona fide antiquarian book collector …

No comments: