Saturday, July 26, 2008

Amitav Ghosh and an admirer...

There are some things that I am not confident of writing about, though they are very close to me, almost like vital parts of whatever is my intellectual make up... though I have written two posts on Amitav Ghosh, these are mostly external to his works...I enjoy Amitav-da's novels tremendously and derive great joy and satisfaction after reading them...I have my favourites and at present they are In an Antique Land, The Calcutta Chromosome, and Dancing in Cambodia, At large in Burma...and Sea of Poppies will soon join this list...there are various reasons why these books have become my favourites...I have read his other novels and liked them and enjoyed them immensely...there is this reverence that I have for Amitav-da as a writer, which I slowly discovered growing in me over the past 10 years...I don't know why...He is great story teller...no doubt about it...and even before I had seen him for the first time and heard him speak, I somehow felt that Amitav-da was a very soft-spoken person and a powerful and dedicated writer...his writings has a very different quality...and, even though at some point of time I felt that I should maybe write a paper on one of his novels, I could not bring myself to even start work on this little project... therefore, meeting him and hearing him talk was a big experience for me... especially this time, I wouldn't have made it if my cousin Shubha (Chennai) hadn't come forward to help Shruti, when Shruti was frantically hunting for passes... I feel happy when my family and friends indulge me, but it is also a tremendous feeling of responsibility...

I can share my reading experiences of Amitav Ghosh's novels with you, I can talk about his novels...things that I liked... but I will never be able to write about his novels...maybe I am a mad fan ... but, as long as there is a method...I am ok with it...

1 comment:

rahulg said...

AFAIK, he uses Pelikan FPs for drafting his stories. Fancy that!