Monday, July 6, 2009

A paper published and some publicity...(!!!)

Last week some good news came in the mail…I received the recent issue of Journal of Karnataka Studies…this journal is published by Kannada University, Hampi, Karnataka… the good news is that my paper is published in this issue…in fact, 2009 has been good in this sense so far…this is the third paper to see the light of the day this year, though I had submitted them some time back…so suddenly, my list of publications has increased…feels good…

This paper is about one of the prolific translators of novels during the early days of the novel in Kannada…Venkatesha Tirako KulakarniGalaganatha,’ popularly known as only ‘Galaganatha,’ translated 16 novels from Marathi into Kannada…and all of them were historical novels and most of them were written by Hari Narayan Apte originally…

The paper is titled “The Novel and the Nation: Galaganatha’s Rewriting of Historical Novels in Kannada”… and a part of this is taken from my earlier research for my PhD…and of course, the editors wanted me to make substantial changes in the draft I had submitted…which made me read some more and which was really good because I was able to see the whole issue from a slightly different perspective…I had written about the how the ‘novel’ as a genre is analogous to the idea of the ‘nation’ and how the ‘novel’ could be used to ‘plot’ the idea of the nation…especially historical novels…and since this is a family blog I don’t want to get into graphic details which could result in extreme self-torture…!!!

I must thank my friend Tharakeshwar, who was earlier teaching in the Translation Studies Dept at Kananda University, and who encouraged me to send this article for publication…now he has come to Hyderabad and is a reader at EFL University…

Among the many issues that I worked on, I enjoyed working on this aspect of the novel the most…the idea of the ‘nation’ and the novel…

No comments: