Monday, August 16, 2010

Misunderstand Me Correctly ...

-->
Misunderstand me correctly…

Misunderstand me correctly…
Music begins where words cease.
When music ceases, silence!
When all arts aspire to
the condition of music;
What does music aspire to?
Silence.
The logic of music leads
eventually to silence!
Music must come from silence.
Come from it and return to it.
Perhaps everything will end in fire.
Fire, then silence.
That is how everything ends, after all.
But, misunderstand me correctly.
I do not choose silence,
silence chooses me.
Anyway, I’m not taking any chances.
For a moment I savour the silence.
I listened until my ears could hear no more,
and silence resumed.
and I wrote this.
*****
This is a kind of a ‘magpie’ poem…my recent visit to the Best Books’ second hand books exhibition at YMCA Secunderabad yielded two (only…unfortunately…) good books…one of them was Granta 76: Music…I picked it up as soon as I saw it, being a music nut and all that…anyway, it contained a good collection of fiction and non-fiction…I started reading Julian Barnes’ ‘The Silence’ and the sentences and words from the piece and the idea of silence re-arranged themselves into this piece…I am only the arranger…

2 comments:

Mayura Amarkant said...

WOW...

I simply loved this piece...

Very beautifully written...

Soulful...full of depth and meaning...

Mayura

PaiN said...

Hi Jai,

I've referred to your blog posts on fountain pens in my article in Mint Lounge. See the Case in Point.