Friday, August 23, 2013

First time - twin posts – 2 – Elmore Leonard passes away ...

On Wednesday (21 August 2013) I read in The Hindu that Elmore Leonard, one of the finest crime fiction writers, passed away the previous day (20 August 2013) ... he was one of my favourite writers ... fellow blogger Vinod introduced me to Elmore Leonard and since then, I have been buying and reading his books ... I read his novels The Big Bounce,  Killshot,  Rum PunchMaximum BobCity PrimevalPronto, and others ... the most recent Leonard book that I bought was his collection of short stories, When the Women came out to Dance, which I enjoyed thoroughly... I sent a text message to Vinod to share my sorrow at Elmore Leonard’s passing away ... he replied saying that he too was sad and regretted not buying Elmore Leonard’s Djibouti at Dehradun recently ... well, you might find it in Abids one of these days, Vinod... 

A number of Elmore Leonard’s novels were adapted into movies, but Leonard was happy with only one ... Rum Punch was made into a movie called Jackie Brown (written and directed by Quentin Tarantino) ... (the Wikipedia entry on Jackie Brown says this ... “Leonard loved the screenplay, considering it not only the best of the twenty-six screen adaptations of his novels and short stories, but also stating that it was possibly the best screenplay he had ever read.”)... as a small tribute to Elmore Leonard, I am going to read Rum Punch again and watch this movie ...

Elmore Leonard R. I. P.

No comments: