Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday Double Post - A Mixed Haul at Abids on Sunday & Meeting with Friends – 1

After around four weeks of deciding and dropping, this Sunday (20 April 2014) I finally managed to get to Abids for the mid-morning book hunt... did I have an idea what to look for? Or was it going to be a random search?  look around and see what you get kind of search?  Well, it always starts with a list…and then slowly the search becomes free for all…you don’t know what might turn up at those piles of books…

I wanted to see if anything by Simon Brett turned up… I loved reading his Fethering mysteries and Charles Paris mysteries; ebooks that I found online…I wanted to buy some of them at least, but the prices on Indian online bookstores were so prohibitive that I was stunned for a while…then, I thought, chalo, Abids mein dekhenge…so, Simon Brett was on my mind…then I wanted to see if I could get something by Jo Nesbo…I also had Len Deighton’s Hook on my list…I had found Line and Sinker at Abids some time ago and without Hook, I couldn’t start reading the trilogy...yeah, Harlen Coben too…Peter Robinson…Elmore Leonard…so many names of writers swirling around my head…

The first book that I found interesting enough to buy was something that was completely unanticipated…it had no cover…Goodbye to Elsa by Saros Cowasjee…I wondered why no cover… I remember seeing this book in a government library while I was in school and thought I should read it, but somehow didn’t … the author’s name was familiar… I also remembered reading his Stories from the Raj…and Goodbye to Elsa was only for ten rupees…I picked it up… this was from the first pile at the beginning of the street…



I went to the next pile and saw a random collection of books … and out of this random collection, I picked up two books… music and humour … Best Music Writing 2007 and Morecambe and Wise-their funniest jokes, one-liners and sketches… I don’t know how many articles I am going to read from Best Music Writing 2007, but I didn’t want to give up the book and moreover it was only ten rupees… 



Morecambe and Wise I picked up as soon as I saw the book … 



I kind of like the British kind of wry humour… (watch A Bit of Fry and Laurie…) … it is a small book and the items are taken from their various sketches they did together as Eric and Ernie…I finished it off quickly… the lines are great…sample these…

Eric: Who’s your tailor?
Ernie: Why?
Eric: That was my second question.
*******************************************************
Ernie: Can you telephone from an aeroplane?
Eric: Anyone can tell a phone from an aeroplane, can’t they?
*************************************************************
Eric: Why don’t you have a dance?
Ernie: Actually, I don’t think I will…I’m a little stiff from badminton.
Eric: It doesn’t matter where you’re from…you can still join in.


There are lots more in the book…

No comments: