Saturday, August 29, 2015

Books at Abids on 23 August 2015 …some for Mamoon, some for Baba ...

It was almost a month since I had met Vinod at Abids … yeah, that same visit that triggered the Macd(D)onald books frenzy and which sent me on a wild-goose-chase (why chase goose?) of secondhand book shops across Delhi, Mumbai, and Hyderabad … anyway, there were some other reasons for which I wanted to meet Vinod … and Shruti had wanted me to locate Telugu & Hindi letters practicing books for Mamoon at Abids … Mamoon is learning to read and write Telugu & Hindi at her school, you see … and we wanted some extra practice books … and since I had bought all these secondhand books in the last 4 weeks or so, I was not thinking of books for myself …

I met Umashankar and Srikanth first … Uma noticed my watch, a blue-dial HMT Kohinoor mechanical … and he had acquired a black-dial HMT Pilot, which he was wearing … as this mutual watch admiration was going on, Vinod walked up the road to the Irani and we went in for our chai and osmanias … Uma and Srikanth were apparently very hungry, Uma more apparently so and they went on to demolish five plates of pooris … they went about their job silently, efficiently, and methodically … and general talk about politics, books, literature, etc. … I had brought a book for Vinod, The Laughing Policeman

Then we started on our rounds … the place where I had earlier purchased mathematics and colouring books for Mamoon didn’t seem to stock these kinds of books anymore and I had to widen my search … I had told Vinod about my ‘mission’ and as soon as we crossed the road and went to the other end of Bata galli, Vinod espied a seller with these reading and writing practice books arranged on the pavement … I was glad that I could find some good practice books, both Hindi and Telugu, so soon … 

Since the main reasons for visiting Abids were taken care of, I was pleased … my book hunting was not so enthusiastic … I would usually dip into the piles of books to see what treasures are hidden below … but I just took a cursory look, found one or two books of mild interest and then put them back … this went on for some time … but you can’t return without books after a visit to Abids on a Sunday, can you?  It is like going to Tirupati and coming back without laddoos … concentrate … try harder … I told myself … I picked up a couple of books, then put them back … it was all desultory … and across the road I saw another set of writing practice books, and picked up some more for Mamoon … each of the books I bought for Mamoon cost around Rs.10 or so …



Then I entered into that shopping complex, which looks like a tunnel from the road … and there were again heaps and shelves and piles of books … I went to a small neatly arranged stack of books arranged on a sort of table … and the board said … Novels: 3 for Rs. 100 … I saw the arranged books … a couple of them seemed interesting … I wanted one more … put the two back … and saw the titles again … it was like those buy 2 get 4 free offers that you see in shops like Megamart … you want to buy one shirt, and end up buying 6, and out of that you actually like only two … you wear the other four half-heartedly … I couldn’t buy only two … I tried hard and picked up an Ian Rankin title, that I knew I already had, but then I thought … what the kangaroo, I’ll give it to one of my students …  Len Deighton’s Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Spy and Elmore Leonard’s Cuba Libre were real finds for me … 


2 comments:

SUDARSHAN CHAKRA said...

Thanks for buying Telugu writing practice books for Mamoon whether it is by force or interest. She can be introduced to some great works in Telugu Literature also. Best would be Vemana sathakam.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

She has just started, Madhav...Vemana's works are still far far away for her...I will keep this in mind though...thanks...