Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Abids on Sunday the 20th of December … some more of the same … and others too …

My general Abids schedule is usually once a month, but after my previous trip (on the 6th) where I got those old crime thrillers, and posted their cover pictures, KBS Krishna responded enthusiastically and imparted some more knowledge about writers of that period … he mentioned some more names and wondered if the Sunday pavements of Abids would have their titles … I was ready to go the next Sunday … Shruti appeared a bit worried … you went last Sunday, no … your visit is usually once a month … and all that … I sort of ducked those bouncers, but finally decided not to go … she also said, anyway, next Sunday we won’t be there in Hyderabad, you can go …

So, next Sunday came and off I went to Abids … I got down near the same pavement stall from where I got those ‘sensational’ crime thrillers to see if any books from two weeks back were still left unsold … oh yes, some of them were still there … I was slightly better acquainted with the 50s-60s-70s crime fiction scene now … I saw another Mike Shayne mystery (Brett Halliday), The Corpse Came Calling … I had bought a Mike Shayne mystery during my previous visit and had no hesitation in picking this up ... 


And then I saw two books by Richard S. Prather … I picked both and read the blurbs and discovered that this writer had his own private eye called Shell Scott and these two books featured him … one of the books was a novel, Pattern for Panic (1954), and the other was a collection of short stories Shell Scott’s Seven Slaughters (1961) …

  


The world wide web helped me gain some more information about Prather and his detective … Prather wrote ‘plentifully’ between 1950 and 1975, publishing around 40 Shell Scott books (novels and short story collections) … from what I read, Shell Scott is a different sort of detective … he is an ex-marine, sports a ‘bristly white-blonde buzz cut,’ no fedora or trench-coat, but Hawaiian shirts and ‘snazzy teal blue suits’ … and ‘remarkably little angst’ … he is, no doubt, tough, but with a touch of goofiness … the hedonism is very much there … now I am glad I got those two books, gives me some idea about the progression of the detective genre … the early ones and the later ones and so on …

After this purchase, I joined Vinod, Srikanth, and Umashankar at the Irani … there was a discussion on two recently released supposed-to-be-blockbusters Hindi movies … and also Telugu movies … the Hyderabad Book Fair had started and Vinod had already visited it twice, and maybe Umashankar too had … then there was this discussion on what books they saw and what they bought … and then, we started our journey …

Nothing much for a long time … then Umashankar found a slim book of aphorisms on love … and spent the browsing time reading aloud witty quotes and one-liners from the book … very enjoyable actually … and I found a book which I thought Mamoon might like … Your First Keyboard Method … I had purchased a keyboard looong back and Mamoon sometimes plays with the keys, making her own music … maybe, just maybe, Mamoon might get interested in ‘learning’ how to ‘actually’ play the keyboard … I ‘scanned’ and ‘skimmed’ the book and felt that the instructions and illustrations were simple enough …


Then we went down the road, eyes scanning the pavements on both sides … Vinod pointed out Elmore Leonard’s Bandits … I was not sure whether I already had a copy … Vinod said take it, it is a nice copy … he is a great believer in picking up multiple copies of second-hand books in good condition … makes good gifts for books-loving friends … I had done so previously on two occasions and gave those books to my student … I am glad I picked Bandits, because when I came home and checked, I didn’t have one …

And then we went till the GPO … saw some more books … came back to Bata galli and entered the shopping complex and surprisingly, many permanent shops that were usually closed were open (possibly because Christmas and New Year are close … ) and as a result many Sunday bookstalls were not … and from among the few stalls I saw this book … Perchance to Dream … this is sequel to Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep written by another acclaimed crime fiction writer, Robert B. Parker … I had read Chandler’s The Big Sleep and had read about Parker’s sequel to that, and I had also seen the book at Abids earlier … and this time I picked it up … let’s see how it is …


And that sort of brought the book-hunt to a close that day … six books for Rs.80 … but Krishna, I couldn’t find any of the books by those authors that you mentioned … I would continue my search though and hope to have better luck during the next visits … 

No comments: