Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Abids on December the 6th … Part 1 … haul for Mamoon …

My last visit to Abids was on September the 13th … that was ages ago maan … so many things happened between then and now … not that I am a regular Sunday Abid-er, but even that once a month visit kept getting so indefinitely postponed that I started feeling like Derrida … things fell together this Sunday the 6th of December and off I went to Abids … Shruti and Mamoon went to watch the Good Dinosaur and I proceeded on my hungry hunt … I texted Vinod that I would be Abid-ing that day …

I reached quite early actually and the book sellers were just about setting up their stalls … sacksful of secondhand books stood around these makeshift stalls with their mouths tied waiting for release into the Abid-ian air … I wandered around and Vinod texted back saying that he’s in Abids … I called and he said he’d be coming to the usual Irani … I met Srikanth as I was walking towards the Irani … and he asked me why I was letting my hair grow … it is quite grown down now and Shruti had ponytailed it in the morning … I told him I was living out my teenage fantasy in late middle age … he enquired after Mamoon … Uma was already waiting and he noticed the HMT Braille that was my on wrist … he too wanted to know how Mamoon was … and there was some HMT talk for a while and Vinod walked up … we went inside the Irani … Vinod had a book in his hand already and he showed it to me and said there’s a stall selling good children’s books and I could buy some for Mamoon … and then he gave me the book that he already bought and said in fact you could give this book too to Mamoon … haen? … I sort of protested … he said he bought the book because it was good and he was anyway going to give it away to a kid, so why not to Mamoon … oh wow … first book of the day for Mamoon … I made a mental tick to come this way to look for books for Mamoon at the place Vinod suggested …

After tea, biscuits, and banter, we sailed forth with hope in our hearts and courage in our heads … ok, let it be … couldn’t find anything worth my interest for a long long time … and then I sort of started finding books of the sort I liked … and some really old crime fiction books, which I bought solely for their covers … aah, but these will come in the next post (in a day or two … ), but this post is for books that I bought for Mamoon …

These came towards the end of my tramping, and there was a chotu boy who was ‘boy’ing the small stall arranged with all sorts of children’s books … extremely voluble and so enthusiastic that he kept pushing books at me and wanted me to buy everything … he wouldn’t let me focus on the books … I told to keep quiet after some time … I selected 8 books …

I bargained and bargained with that chotu fellow … and walked away twice and he followed me with the heap of books … he wanted 300 … I said 150 … he argued … and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I forced him to accept 200 … he wanted 20 more … no … give me 10 more … nothing doing … basse re baba … kya saab … kuch bhi nai hota, le le re bhai …


I have to be careful, can’t buy what books I like … I have to try and look at the books from Mamoon’s viewpoint … each page should have not more than three or four lines … maximum five, sort of … and nice illustrations … Mamoon now reads at a faster clip and she finishes these kinds of books in quick time … it is a hit and miss actually … anyway, these 8 books were a mix of animal stories, songs, rhymes, activity, etc. …


This is the book that Vinod gave Mamoon ... the one that sparked off the search ... 




One of Mamoon's favourite rhymes ... mainly because she can jump on the bed with her friends ... and make a real racket ...  




A couple of cat books ... 


That's a very forlorn looking baby bear, isn't it?  Don't worry, he finally manages to get back home ... he he he ... but the Arctic scenes are dazzling ... 


No comments: