Thursday, January 24, 2008

First books of 2008

To continue from where i left off…The Thirteenth Tale is indeed engrossing…and i manage to catch one hour every morning on my trip to my college…the novel seems episodic at this stage…(Pg. 127)…who knows how the threads are going to weave in and out…i am enjoying this exercise…helps me keep my focus…must do it with other books too…

i have started my books account for 2008 with 2 books – Umberto Eco’s Baudolino and Early Novels in India (Ed. Meenakshi Mukherjee; Sahitya Akademi). i had a copy of Baudolino and had also read it…but one fine day i discovered that it was missing from my shelf…i don’t know how it happened, as i am abnormally possessive about my books…but, missing it was and i searched wherever I could and asked all friends and relatives who had come home and had something to do with books…no luck! The only alternative was to buy a fresh copy…which i did…after waiting for more than 6 months for Baudolino to turn up miraculously from some forgotten corner…even after the purchase of a new copy, i am sure that the old one will re-appear one day…

The other book, Early Novels in India, is something i wanted to own as part of my collection on the early novel in India. i had worked on the early novel in Kannada for my PhD and the topic continues to be my academic passion…this book has a series of articles on early novels in various regional languages across India by scholars who have been working on this area for quite some time…in terms of academic value, the book is a milestone…

Jai

No comments: