Saturday, April 18, 2009

What I finally bought at the used books sale...

I landed at the books sale at YMCA on Wednesday evening on way back home from college and needless to say, I was looking only for Dave Barry and Elmore Leonard…I found Maximum Bob soon enough and picked it up…saw some other novels and books that I thought I should buy, but then felt that I might not read them…but I couldn’t locate any Dave Barry books…I eventually had to ask the proprietor at the counter…he pointed to a shelf and there it was…a Dave Barry book. But it was neither of the two books that Vinod had seen when he visited the sale…the one I saw was Dave Barry Turns 40

I got Maximum Bob for Rs.45 and Dave Barry Turns 40 (hardback) for Rs.95…I then found a long-searched-for novel in the adjoining room where pulp fiction was stocked…The Silence of the Lambs… I had seen the movie sometime during 1990-92 in Pune. I didn’t understand much then and don’t remember anything now, but liked Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter …I’d seen Hannibal, its sequel, when it was released here in Hyderabad and liked it…Anthony Hopkins was as usual brilliant, but I would have liked Jodie Foster to have reprised the role of Clarice Starling…

I must be one of the few persons who’d read the sequels first and then came to the first one in the sequence…I had read Hannibal and Red Dragon earlier and had bought these books at a used books sale and so, I was kind of determined to buy The Silence of the Lambs too at a used books sale…and I found it here…might go there again today and see if the proprietor has managed to locate the other two or any other Dave Barry book…

Thanks Vinod…for the tip (in/advertent?)…much appreciated…I have already read 5 episodes from Dave Barry Turns 40...and Dave Barry is true to form...

No comments: