Friday, May 30, 2008

Encountering Elmore...Finally...

Hi everybody...

Something or the other is always happening and sometimes one forgets them as soon as the events are over...now that I have started blogging...almost 5 months now...I look forward to 'post' points...I am sure many bloggers are always on the alert for 'post' points or have now learnt that anything can be a post...anyway...three days back, I had this great urge to buy at least one from the second hand bookwallah Al Classic near Sangeet...I went there and decided to look for a book by Elmore Leonard...Vinod always writes about this author and rates him highly for his readability and until I read Vinod's posts, I didn't know that this author existed...when we met briefly at Al Classic sometime last month, he pointed out an Elmore Leonard novel called Pronto to me...I thought I'd buy it later...now I decided to buy it and went there and found it in the same place in the same column of books...I picked it up and wandered around to see if I can find anything else...I found another Elmore Leonard novel called Rum Punch...I was tempted...I didn't know anything about this writer...only Vinod's word for his writing skill...I picked this novel up too thinking that if I find anything more familiar and unread, I will keep this one back...as I was moving away from this stack...guess what...I saw yet another Elmore Leonard novel called Killshot...this was unreal...by this time, I was totally bewildered... I had come for one Elmore Leonard novel and now I had three in my hands...but you can't do anything to a book-mad fellow...I decided to take all three...come what may...Vinod is there, no? but what if he has read them all? and I am sure he has already read all of them by now...Killshot is the slimmest of the three and I started with it...I completed the first chapter today morning...it reads well...I particularly liked the 'dry and bare' atmosphere created by the author...reminds of some American movies where you travel along long roads with no habitation on either side...and you hit upon a lone motel or a petrol station and you come across a monologue spitting type chap...and people talk more with their guns and pistols than with their eyes...so far so good...let me see how the book takes me further... will surely let you all know how the novels are...

No comments: