Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chinese Chakkar - Pendemonium

Hero Fountain Pens - Nibs close up
Hero FPs - Capped
Wing Sung FPs - Nibs close up
Wing Sung FPs - Capped
Hi everybody...
This happened almost a month ago…

I never thought I'd add Chinese Fountain Pens to my collection...but it so happened that I was kind of on the verge of being duped by an FP dealer who quoted an exorbitant variable rate on an FP that I had longed to buy...I did not buy it, not because I couldn't, but I strongly felt that this person was trying to con me and didn’t want to succumb...I was proved right when a fellow FP enthusiast and friend confirmed my suspicions...but I was angry and irritated at this and the next day, like a angry lover on a rebound, I went looking for this shop which stored Chinese FPs...I had visited this shop earlier, almost 2 years back, to buy an FP...I was not into collecting FPs then...I just wanted a nice looking FP...I found this very good looking metal screw cap big nibbed Hero FP and bought it...but that shopwallah also showed me the entire range of Chinese FPs that he had...I was not interested then and did not buy any more...but now that I had started collecting, I thought, why not...and went to this shop...the ownership of the shop had changed hands and another person was in charge...but they still had those Chinese FPs, not the entire range though...and I splurged...kind of retail therapy... (I added a couple of pens to that initial range...Hero 616 and Wing Sung 727 – double pen, purchased with Hari)... some of the Wing Sung FPs are really beautiful... I have dip tested all of them...and currently using 3 alternatively...all pens write well...at least that part is taken care of... here are the photos...and the names of these pens are...first Wing Sung-s...WS 727 double pen (the one in the centre); Wing Sung 608 Blue and Wing Sung 608 Brown (on either sides of the 727); Wing Sung 606 Brown and Wing Sung 606 Blue (on either ends); and Wing Sung 603 Black lines on Blue (the one that is horizontal); then Hero-s...Hero 616 (bluish green body with the arrow clip); Hero 330 (brown body with gold coloured cap); Hero 60 (light brownish coloured body with half nib); Hero 378 (steel cap with black body and big full Nib); Hero 27A (silver coloured body and cap with full nib); Hero 2C blue; Hero 2C gold...

A beautiful looking 14kt gold nib Jinhao has also been since added to the Chinese range…I tried taking photographs of the Jinhao yesterday, the results were not so good…will have to do it patiently…I will be getting 2 more Hero-s…Hari has bought an integrated nib Hero FP along with a Hero 329 FP for me in Bangalore…he will be coming to Hyderabad shortly…but, I have seen this integrated nib Hero FP and it is really interesting…wonder what they will come up with next…
Jai

4 comments:

Jeff Pearson said...

Hi - Who'd have thought this four year old blog post has helped me tremendously - thanks for the in depth review of Wing Sung pens - I couldn't find one anywhere else, greatly appreciated

Arvind said...

Hi not only the photos were excellent but the the range of pens you had showcased were simply brilliant. I could not find much about Wingsung 727 and i really wanted a detailed review of the same.

Would be much thankful if you can let me know where can i get a WS 727 in india.

thanks and regards,

Arvind

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Dear Jeff and Arvind...thanks for visiting...

Jeff...I am glad that you found my post useful...thanks for the good words...

Arvind...I bought the WS 727s in Hyderabad at Deccan Pen Stores...where do you live in India? My friend Hari has written detailed posts on fountain pen shops in Mumbai and Chennai and you will find them on Fountain Pen Network in the Photography forum...

Anonymous said...

Please help me
I want to purchase wing sung 606 blue and I have searched it in many countries but I couldnot find it please help me if you are having this pen