Thursday, May 22, 2008

to check out what happened during the interim period...

Hi...

It's been long...too long...and the intervening days between my last post day and today were unusually hectic...though there were physical spaces in between, there was no mental space...though I chided myself 'you are neglecting your blog'...I really couldn't do anything...a lot of post ideas did weave in and out and I had already started composing a couple of them...I work in an engineering college and and this is the time of the year when their sessions get over...pending internal tests, practical tests, etc., are all being held to close out the academic year...students' attendance is calculated to check for shortfall...and you hear such pathetic stories of academic and aspiration mismatch, misplaced parental hopes, etc...students are pushed into studying engineering just because there is an engineering college round the corner and you can buy a seat...marginal farmers, masons, small time mechanics, small shopkeepers, along with rich real estate tycoons, businessmen, etc., all want their children to become engineers without having an understanding of what it entails to become an engineer... so everybody goes through this misery... I sometimes joke that parents and students dream that at the end of the fourth year, there will be a long queue of software company owners in front of the college and Nandan Nilekani, Azim Premji, Ramalinga Raju and others are fighting among themselves to grab the golden graduates that emerge out of the college...and so this goes on...

I digressed...well...on the FP front, I got a real surprise...my friend Anuradha got (gifted) me a Jinhao Gold Nib FP from China, where she was posted for almost a year...it is exquisite...the box and packaging is so good that you feel that the FP is only an afterthought...anyway...this is my second gold nib FP after the personalised Ratnam 302...I will post pictures soon...the camera is with Shruti and she is on her vacation...I also bought a black Lamy Safari, A yellow translucent Pelikano Junior, and Pelikan P56...these are all plastic bodied FPs...but I bought them all the same...1. for the sake of representation, as I cannot afford the more expensive and classier Lamy and Pelikan models, and 2. I read a lot of reviews on FPN on these pens and they were good...and felt 'why not'... I also bought a lot of inks...I had only Parker-Quink permanent black and blue colour inks...so I went to Deccan Pen Stores at Secunderabad and bought around 8 different colours - Turquoise Blue, Emerald Green, Ruby Red, Sapphire Blue, Permanent Black, Washable Royal Blue, Crimson Violet (all Chelpark) and an unusual colour and name Laurel Rose from Bril...So, now, I have managed to fill up the ink space too...am becoming a real FP addict...not nice, beta...I have also done up the extreme end of our glass shuttered book case into a FP case...looks good now...I have showcased my faves here...I think, I am doing this to show off...hopefully not...I will post pictures of this too...

Till then...ciao...

2 comments:

Sairas said...

Were the chelpark sapphire and royal blue any good. Would you buy them again?

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi Sairas...yes, they are good inks and they are a permanent part of my collection of inks...try them!